When bad weather comes our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a big impact. Staying safe and protecting your home are your greatest priorities, but did you know there are steps you can take to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm is over, your AC repair technician will give you the a-okay?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm strikes can help you protect from damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you arrange for an AC repair technician to check your system after the storm, they can probably provide you with good news that your steps worked.
At Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we recognize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for bad weather, and time might not give you much notice, so we’ve put together a list of what you can do before and after a severe weather event takes place.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are typical during bad weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to make sure it is completely off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover can keep away any debris that gets thrown around during threatening weather. Just make sure you have turned the system completely off prior to covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Be sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a safe place so that they don’t get thrown around during the severe weather event.
- Clear the debris. Once it is ok to return out of your home, be sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you see any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly inspect your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is needed.
Of course we all hope that bad weather doesn’t hit us in Miami, but we have to be prepared if we want the best chance to avoid any major damage or other problems that may come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prepare for severe weather in Miami or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has come and gone, give us a call at or schedule an appointment with Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning through our online scheduler.